Bake off sloppy joe pizza pockets.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 35 mins
Bake: 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound frozen pizza dough or bread dough, thawed
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, onion and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey and cook over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat, until cooked through and crumbly, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the pizza sauce and Worcestershire sauce, season to taste with salt and pepper and let cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil. Divide the dough into quarters and, working with 1 piece at a time, roll out and stretch into an 8-inch round. Place the rounds on the baking sheet, with about a third of each round hanging over the edges of the pan. Mound a packed cup of the turkey mixture onto each round, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top each with the cheese and then fold the dough over the filling; crimp the edges together to seal. Cut a small vent in the top of each pocket for ventilation.
- Bake until puffed and golden, 15 to 20 minutes.