Bring eggs and ham together in a cheesy casserole.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Bake: 40 mins
- 4 - 6 slices white bread, crust trimmed and discarded, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 8 ounces sliced deli ham, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Grease a 2-quart baking dish. Layer the bread, ham, 2 cups cheese and 2 tablespoons chives in the dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Pour into the dish and top with the tomato slices in an even layer.
- Bake the eggs until nearly set, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and 1 tablespoon chives on top and bake until golden.
- Wolf Blass Yellow Label Brut NV (Australia), Freixenet Cordon Negro Brut NV (Spain)
- Skip the ham and swap in an extra layer of sliced tomatoes.