Revive the King with this remake of one of his favorite sandwiches.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 2 mins
- 6 slices bacon
- 4 4-1/2-inch round plain kaiser or brioche rolls
- 2 bananas
- 1/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain; cool. Tear each slice in half.
- Using a sharp paring knife, cut a slit in the side of each roll and open slightly to form a pocket, being careful not to rip the sides. Press each roll to flatten.
- Peel the bananas, then halve crosswise. Cut each banana half lengthwise into 3 slices. Place the banana slices on a work surface, spread 1 teaspoon peanut butter on each slice, then top with 1/2 teaspoon honey and a piece of bacon. Stuff 3 banana stacks into each pocket. Press the sandwich flat enough to fit inside the toaster and wipe any filling off the outside.
- Toast the filled rolls, slit side up, on the lightest setting until crusty, about 1 minute. Let the rolls cool slightly before slicing into wedges.
- Skip the bacon and double the banana instead.