Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cucumber--peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup store-bought italian salad dressing
- 1 12-inch loaf Italian bread (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 15 pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- Hot sauce
- 1/3 pound thinly sliced ham
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/3 pound thinly sliced soppressata
- 5 thin slices asiago cheese
- 1/3 pound sliced capicola or prosciutto
- In a large bowl, combine the bell peppers, cucumber, onion and salad dressing. Let sit for 30 minutes or up to overnight. Drain, reserving the marinade.
- Halve the bread lengthwise and scoop out the top half. Drizzle both sides with the reserved marinade.
- Place the lettuce on the bread bottom and top with the olives and half of the marinated vegetables; season with the hot sauce. Top with the ham, tomato, cubanelle pepper, soppressata, asiago and capicola. Set the bread top in place and cut crosswise into 4 sandwiches. Serve with the remaining marinated vegetables.