Consider this a meal trapped in the body of a sandwich.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 6 thick-cut slices bacon
- 1 1/4cups mayonnaise
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 canned chipotle chile packed in adobo sauce, chopped, plus 2 teaspoons sauce
- 1/4cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, skin and bones discarded and meat shredded (about 2 cups)
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed, toasted
- 1/2 bunch watercress, trimmed
- 1 hass avocado--halved, pitted and thinly sliced lengthwise
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until browned but not crisp, about 8 minutes; drain. In a bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, garlic and lemon juice; reserve 1/2 cup. Stir the chipotle chile, adobo sauce and cilantro into the remaining mayonnaise mixture; add the chicken and toss.
- Place the toasts on a work surface and top 4 slices with some of the chicken salad and watercress. Spread some mayonnaise on both sides of another 4 slices of toast and set on top of the watercress; top with the avocado slices and bacon. Spread the remaining mayonnaise on the remaining 4 toast slices and set into place.
- Slice each sandwich into 4 triangles and secure with toothpicks.
- Brighten a sandwich with a layer of watercress, which adds a light, spicy flavor.