Serve this hash as a suppertime main dish or in the morning, alongside scrambled eggs.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 bell peppers (any color), chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Green salsa, for serving
- In a medium pot of boiling, salted water, cook the sweet potatoes until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes; transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Heat the oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers, onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage, cumin and sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with green salsa.
- Annie's Lane Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot Clare Valley 2002 (Australia)
- Season the hash with sweet smoked paprika or a chopped fresh herb like thyme.