Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3/4 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 1/2 cups Roasted Tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 15 ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Zest of 1/2 lemon (about 2 teaspoons), optional
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Move the onion to the side of the pan, add the ground turkey, curry powder, coriander and cumin and cook over medium-high heat until the turkey is browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Add the roasted tomatoes, chickpeas, chicken broth, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and the lemon zest. Cook the curry over medium-low heat for 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the yogurt, cooking until just heated through. Season the curry to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve this curry with rice as a main course, or in pita bread for lunch.