Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4cups white miso (available in some refrigerated sections and at Asian markets)
- 1/2cup sake
- 1/2cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 4 6 ounces black cod fillets (also called sablefish) or salmon fillets
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, such as oyster and shiitake, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2teaspoons soy sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray or olive oil
- Steamed white rice
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the sugar, miso, sake and mirin. Bring the marinade to a boil, then remove from the heat, transfer to shallow dish and let cool completely. Add the fish, covering it with the marinade, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- In a small saucepan, bring a few cups of water to a boil. Boil the garlic for 2 minutes and drain on paper towel. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the blanched garlic in the butter until golden, 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until golden, about 10 minutes. Add the lemon juice and soy sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Cover a grill liberally with the nonstick cooking spray and heat medium-high. Grill the fish, turning once, until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Serve with the buttered mushrooms and rice.
- Banrock Station Riesling 2005 (Australia)
- The cod gets tastier as it marinates, so make it ahead and refrigerate for up to 2 days before grilling.