Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 pound carrots, halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds precooked link sausages, such as kielbasa or bratwurst, cut into 4-inch pieces and pierced with a fork
- 3 scallions, white and green portions thinly sliced separately
- 1 16 ounce bag sauerkraut, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- Mustard and sour cream, for serving
- In a large saucepan, bring the potatoes and enough cold water to cover to a boil. Add the carrots, lower the heat and simmer until crisp-tender, 10 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the carrots to a plate. Cook the potatoes until tender, 6 to 10 minutes more. Drain, then return the potatoes to the pot, toss with the butter and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep, heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausages and fry until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a platter and tent with foil.
- Wipe the skillet and add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil; add the scallion whites and cook over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add 1 cup water, the sauerkraut, bay leaves, reserved sausages and carrots and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the scallion greens; discard the bay leaves.
- Serve the sausages and sauerkraut with the potatoes, mustard and sour cream alongside.
- Willamette Valley Vineyards Pinot Gris 2006 (Oregon)
- Replace the carrots with parsnips.