Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 2 hrs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 2 - 2 1/2 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 pound (about 2 1/4 cups) wild rice
- 3 tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 2 cups a href="/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-index/appetizer-starter-recipes/Salsa-Fresca">Salsa Fresca
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the pork with 2 teaspoons salt. Add the pork to the skillet and cook, turning occasionally, until golden-brown, about 15 minutes. Add the chicken broth, bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Stir in the wild rice, tomatoes and salsa and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pork is tender and the rice is cooked through, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Shred the meat. Stir in the scallions and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Use small new potatoes and pearl onions instead of the wild rice.