Give wine new purpose as a star ingredient in this classic shellfish dish. And hey: You'll want lots of crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 4 parsley stems
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 pounds mussels, rinsed and debearded
- Crusty bread, for serving
- In a stockpot, combine the wine, shallots, thyme, parsley and bay leaf; simmer over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the mussels, cover the pot and cook for 3 minutes. Stir to coat and cook until the shells open, 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to a platter (throw away any that haven't opened).
- Strain the remaining broth, add salt if needed and pour over the mussels. Serve with bread to sop up the sauce.