Kicking store-bought sticks doesn't mean you have to stray too far from the familiar: Making them from scratch gives you way more control over quality, ingredients and fat.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Bake: 10 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups panko, toasted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless cod or halibut fillets, cut into 3/4-inch-thick strips
- Spread the oil on a baking sheet and position on a rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat to 450 degrees .
- In a large bowl, combine the panko, salt and cayenne. In another bowl, beat the eggs. Coat the fish with the seasoned panko, dip in the beaten eggs, then recoat with the panko; transfer to a plate.
- Arrange the fish on the preheated pan and bake, turning once, until just cooked through, about 10 minutes.