Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Bake: 30 mins
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 3 1/4 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, ground to a paste
- Toppings of your choice
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Add 1/4 cup flour and the sugar; stir together. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Stir the remaining 1 cup lukewarm water, 3 cups flour, the cornmeal and salt into the yeast mixture. Combine the butter and garlic; mix into the dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until soft and elastic, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large bowl, add the dough and turn to coat. Cover and set in a warm place until the dough is doubled in size, 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough, then knead for 2 to 3 minutes. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan, then press in the dough to cover the bottom and 2 inches up the sides; let rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees . Top the pizza dough with your favorite toppings. Lower the oven to 450 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.
- Pull the dough gently in all directions to loosen.
- Let the dough hang from your fingers or fists and pull it back and forth so it stretches evenly.
- Pull the dough to fit a baking sheet, stretching it as thin as you like.