Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3/4cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated pecorino-romano cheese
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl, gently break apart the beef with a fork. Add the onion, breadcrumbs, parmesan, pecorino-romano, ketchup, parsley, basil, salt, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder and stir gently to combine. Stir in the egg until just incorporated.
- Using your hands, shape the meat into 1-inch balls, to make about 60 meatballs.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the meatballs and cook, turning, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes, adding more oil when necessary. Drain on paper towels.
- Cave TerraVentoux Cotes du Ventoux 2005 (France), Red Truck Merlot Central Coast 2006 (California)
- For a lighter dish, use ground turkey instead of beef and add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil to the mixture.