AKA Delmonico steak. Naturally tender cut cooks up juicy, with a rich flavor of caramelized meat. These steaks are pricey, so look for ones with a large "eye" and less surrounding fat.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Grill: 10 mins
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 1 1/4-inch-thick boneless rib-eye steaks (about 12 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. In a bowl, combine the chili powder, thyme, cayenne, white pepper, celery seeds, garlic powder and onion powder. Rub the steaks with the oil, then season with salt and the spice mixture. Place on the grill, cover and cook for 5 minutes; turn, lower the heat to medium and grill 5 minutes more for medium-rare.
- Preheat the grill sufficiently -- that means 15 to 30 minutes for a gas grill.