Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeno chiles--stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 avocados, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (1 1/2 limes)
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 small flour tortillas
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef, half of the onion and the jalapenos; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the beef is browned and the onion is softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; reserve the skillet.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the remaining onion, the avocados and lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- In the reserved skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook until golden, 7 to 9 minutes; stir into the beef mixture and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out the skillet and return to medium heat. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, lightly toast on both sides for about 1 minute. Stuff the tortillas with the beef mixture and avocado salad.
- Rinse the raw onion reserved for the salad under cold running water to lessen the bite.
- Kick Up the heat by leaving in the jalapeno seeds.
- Toast the tortillas directly over the burner of a gas stove; use tongs to turn them.