The tropical-flavored granita has the texture of an icy snowflake.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Bake: 30 mins
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar, for sifting
- 1 14 ounce can light coconut milk
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees . Line 3 large baking sheets with parchment and brush the parchment with 2 tablespoons melted butter. In a medium bowl, whisk together 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 2/3 cup coconut, the flour and salt. Stir in the egg whites, then the remaining 4 tablespoons melted butter, until smooth. Using a teaspoon, drop the batter about 2 inches apart onto the prepared pans (the batter will spread).
- Bake the wafers 1 pan at a time until 1/2 inch of their borders is golden-brown, 9 to 10 minutes. Slide the parchment onto a rack to cool completely. Sift the wafers lightly with the confectioners sugar.
- Place a 9-inch square cake pan or baking dish into the freezer to chill. In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water and the remaining 2/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup coconut to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Let simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Pour the coconut liquid through a fine strainer set over a medium metal bowl and press firmly on the solids (you will have about 2 cups syrup). Discard the solids. Stir the coconut milk into the syrup and refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes. (Alternatively, let the mixture cool quickly by setting the bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice water and stirring it for about 8 minutes.)
- Pour the coconut mixture into the chilled pan and freeze for 1 1/2 hours. Using a fork, quickly stir any frozen crystals from the edges to the center of the pan. Repeat the stirring process every hour or so until the mixture is well frozen into crunchy flakes, up to 5 hours.
- To serve, freeze 8 dessert bowls or plates until chilled. Scoop the coconut granita into the center of each bowl and serve with the wafers.