This old-fashioned pudding cake separates during baking into a gooey, spongy cake layer on top and a rich fudge sauce on the bottom.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1 hr
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons mild olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray. In a bowl, mix the flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, the baking powder and salt. Stir in the milk, olive oil and vanilla. Scrape the batter into the slow cooker and smooth the top. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa powder and the espresso powder. Whisk in the boiling water. Pour the mixture over the batter.
- Cover and cook on high until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Turn off the slow cooker, remove the lid and let the cake cool, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 3 tablespoons cocoa. Whisk in the heavy cream. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat the mixture until soft peaks form.
- Scoop the warm cake and its sauce into bowls. Dollop the cocoa whipped cream on top.
- Add a splash of amaretto to the heavy cream before whipping.