Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- In a deep medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until it registers 350 degrees to 375 degrees on a deep-fat thermometer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and add the milk and eggs; whisk until smooth.
- Transfer the batter to a gallon-size resealable plastic bag, remove the excess air and seal the top. With scissors, snip off a corner to make a 1/4-inch-wide hole. Carefully squeeze about 1 cup batter (one-eighth of the mixture) back and forth into the oil, making a free-form lacy web. Cook until golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Using tongs, turn the cake over and cook until golden on the other side, about 1 minute more. Transfer the funnel cake to paper towels to drain briefly. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Dust the funnel cakes with confectioners' sugar and serve hot.
- To avoid messy spills between frying each batch, set the bag of batter, slit side up, in a bowl next to the stovetop.