Caramel is the secret to a supersmooth cheesecake.
Makes: 10 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Bake: 1 hr
- 1 10 ounce box shortbread cookies, such as Lorna Doone
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 8 ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 3/4 cups dulce de leche or other caramel sauce
- Boiling water, for baking
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Wrap the outside of a 9-inch springform pan with foil. Using a food processor, finely chop the cookies, nuts, brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the butter and pulse until just combined. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool. Lower the oven temperature to 300 degrees .
- Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese until softened, 2 minutes. Beat in the flour and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt on low speed. Beat in the eggs and egg yolk, 1 at a time, on medium speed. Mix in 1 cup dulce de leche.
- Pour the batter into the crust. Loosely cover the pan with foil, set in a roasting pan and pour in enough boiling water to reach a depth of 1 inch. Bake the cheesecake until set at the edges but slightly wobbly in the center, about 55 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a rack; let rest for 15 minutes. Spread the remaining 3/4 cup dulce de leche over the warm cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve, then remove the springform and slice the cheesecake.
- Warm the dulce de leche in the microwave for 20 seconds to make it spreadable.