Impress your friends with this fake-out recipeit starts with store-bought ingredients.
Makes: 9 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 5 mins
- 2 cups (5 to 6 ounces) crushed chocolate graham crackers
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1 pound total) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons orange or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange or lemon peel
- Line a 9-inch square baking dish with a 14-inch-long piece of foil or parchment paper and grease the foil. In a medium bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter and 2 tablespoons sugar. Press the crumb mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, the orange juice and vanilla at medium speed until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the heavy cream and mix at low speed until blended, then beat at medium-high speed until thick and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon the cream cheese mixture on top of the crumbs. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water, the remaining 2/3 cup sugar and the cranberries to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring once or twice. Lower the heat and simmer until the cranberries begin to pop, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, transfer to a small bowl and stir in the orange peel. Refrigerate while the cheesecake is chilling.
- Holding the ends of the foil, pull the cheesecake out of the pan. Cut into 9 squares. Spoon the cranberry sauce onto the cheesecake.