Top this cake with Alice's Cocoa Frosting.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 35 mins
Bake: 35 mins
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 7 tablespoons unsweetened (non-Dutch process) natural cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Grease a 9-inch round cake pan; line the bottom with parchment paper and grease the paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. Make a well in the center, add the eggs and milk and whisk gently to make a thick batter; whisk vigorously 30 to 40 times. Whisk in the melted butter and vanilla just until smooth. Scrape into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a rack for 10 minutes; invert onto the rack, remove the pan and parchment paper and invert again. Let cool completely. Dust with the confectioners' sugar.