It doesn't get much better than a fudge brownie topped with coconut-studded caramel.
Makes: 16 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Bake: 30 mins
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chewy caramel candies (20 candies), unwrapped
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Grease an 8-inch square baking pan and line with a 14-inch-long sheet of parchment paper, allowing the ends to hang over 2 sides of the pan. In a medium glass bowl, combine the chocolate, butter and 3 tablespoons water. Microwave at medium power for 2 1/2 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Whisk in the sugar, then the eggs one at a time. Whisk in the flour, cocoa and salt until smooth.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread to the edges with a spatula. Bake until cracked on top, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a small glass bowl, combine the caramels and milk. Microwave at medium power for 2 minutes, then stir until smooth. Spread the caramel evenly on top of the brownie layer. Top with the coconut, patting lightly.
- Switch it up and top the brownies with toasted chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds instead of the coconut.
- Line the brownie pan with overhanging parchment paper to easily remove the brownies after baking.
- Add a little milk to the caramels so they melt smoothly in the microwave.
- Stir the coconut when you toast it for even browning.
- Grease a knife before slicing the brownies to prevent sticking.