Dining alone tonight? Comedian Amy Sedaris suggests eating only half of this cake at a single sitting; you can feed your coworkers the cupcakes tomorrow.
Makes: 20 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 45 mins
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1 pound box confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla, the salt and baking powder and mix until incorporated. Stir in the flour and 11/4 cups milk until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan to fill about two-thirds full. Spoon the remaining batter into the prepared muffin tin. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes for the cupcakes and about 45 minutes for the cake. Let the cake cool for 5 minutes, then invert onto a rack to cool completely.
- When the cake is cool, mix the confectioners sugar with the remaining 1/4 cup milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cut the cake in half horizontally and frost the half-layer with a third of the frosting. Place the unfrosted half-layer on top and frost with another third of the frosting. Use the remaining frosting for the cupcakes.
- Substitute a few drops of extract, such as almond or lemon, for the vanilla in the frosting.