Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 45 mins
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 pound sweet italian sausage, casings removed, crumbled
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 large carrot, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 ounces brown lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 head (3/4 lb.) escarole, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- In a large dutch oven, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned; transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Add the onion and carrot to the pot and cook until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and rosemary and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the lentils, broth and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in the escarole and sausage, cover the pot and cook until the escarole is wilted and the sausage is heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- An extra buck will buy you...parmesan cheese. Sprinkle 2 tbsp. grated or shredded parm over each serving.
- Freeze the cooled stew in a freezer container for up to 1 month.
- Thaw the stew enough to release it from the freezer container, then place it in a saucepan with 2 tbsp. water.
- Reheat: Cover and heat over low heat until the stew thaws completely, then increase the heat to get the stew bubbling-hot.