Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Bake: 30 mins
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes with basil, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4cup grated parmesan cheese
- 18 frozen fish sticks
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Grease an 8-inch square baking dish. In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the potatoes until partially cooked, about 5 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, break up the tomatoes with a spoon. Stir in the garlic, capers, 1 tbsp. EVOO and the thyme; season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan and remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO. Arrange half of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish; season with pepper. Top with half of the tomato mixture and half of the fish sticks. Repeat the layering. Top with the breadcrumb mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- An extra buck will buy you...fresh basil. Stir a handful of shredded basil into the tomato sauce for a brighter flavor.
- Freeze: Double-wrap (in plastic wrap and foil) the cooled gratin and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
- Thaw in the fridge overnight.
- Reheat: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Unwrap the foil, discard the plastic wrap and re-cover with the foil. Bake until heated through, 35 to 40 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes to recrisp the topping.