Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 16 ounces loaf frozen garlic bread, split lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into cubes
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can stewed tomatoes--drained and coarsely chopped, juices reserved
- 4 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
- Bake the garlic bread according to package instructions; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large, heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid and begin to brown, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the white wine and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the oregano and the tomatoes with their juices and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Halve the garlic bread crosswise. Divide the eggplant mixture among the 4 pieces and top with the provolone. Broil until the cheese is melted.