Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 1/4 cups drained chopped canned artichoke hearts
- Grated peel of 1 lemon plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- In a saucepan, bring the broth and 4 cups water to a boil, cover and keep at a simmer.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup of the broth mixture, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Maintaining a low simmer, continue to add the broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and allowing the rice to absorb the liquid. Cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- In the last 3 minutes of cooking, add the artichoke hearts, lemon peel, lemon juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese, parsley and walnuts.