This colorful carb doubles as a supporting side to any holiday roast.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 pound gemelli pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large pot of salted water, cook the kale until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the kale to a colander and rinse with cold water. Add the pasta to the pot and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup of the pasta cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the kale to remove the excess water. In a food processor, combine the kale, walnuts, garlic and parmesan until almost smooth; season with salt and pepper. With the machine running, add the olive oil.
- Add the pesto to the pasta, along with enough pasta cooking water to loosen the pesto as necessary. Serve sprinkled with more parmesan.