Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 10 ounce bag spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium saucepan, bring the rice and 2 1/2 cups water to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the rice is still firm but cooked through and the water has evaporated, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, add the bacon to the rice, reserving the skillet with the bacon fat. Stir the mozzarella, parmesan and egg into the rice mixture; season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the rice mixture into 12 mounds on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten into 3-inch patties. Sprinkle on both sides with the breadcrumbs.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the patties and cook, turning once, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Add the spinach to the skillet and cook over high heat, turning, until wilted, about 2 minutes; season with the crushed red pepper. Top with the fritters.
- Arborio Rice $1.27 Bacon $0.51 Mozzarella cheese $1.00 Parmesan Cheese $2.24 Egg $0.10 Breadcrumbs $0.24 Extra-virgin olive oil $0.50 Spinach $1.79 Crushed red pepper $0.02 table Total: $7.67 (Salt and pepper are freebies)
- Place the cooked fritters on a baking sheet and freeze until solid, then wrap in plastic wrap. Bake the frozen fritters in a 375 degrees oven for 10 minutes.