Snacking is often mindless, a way to fill in the blanks between breakfast, lunch and dinner. But here at Every Day with Rachael Ray, we take it seriously. Look no further than this bite-size treat.
Makes: 20 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 20 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cocktail sauce and lemon wedges, for serving
- Fill a pot with enough oil to reach a depth of 2 inches; heat over medium-high heat until it registers 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in the milk, scallions and 1 tablespoon oil.
- Thread shrimp onto ice pop sticks. Coat with the batter, then fry until golden, 2 to 3 minutes; drain. Serve with the cocktail sauce and lemon.
- Freeze cooled fried skewers on a baking sheet, then store in a resealable plastic bag. To reheat, bake in a 350 degrees oven for 15 minutes.