Jalapeño chiles spice up this traditional picnic starter.
Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 12 mins
- 12 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 small jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion or shallot
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sweet paprika, for dusting
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the eggs, lower the heat and simmer for 12 minutes. Remove the eggs, run cold water over them, then cover with ice-cold water for 10 minutes, cracking each shell lightly to let some water in. Drain and peel.
- Halve the eggs lengthwise. Remove the yolks to a bowl, mash with a fork, then stir in the mustard, mayonnaise and. Add the jalapenos, onion and celery and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mound the egg-white halves with the filling and sprinkle with paprika.