Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
- 1 grapefruit, peeled
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 2 ripe Hass avocados
- Using a small, sharp knife, cut between the membranes of the grapefruit, releasing the segments into a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine the crabmeat, mayonnaise, lemon juice, tarragon, chives, Tabasco and salt. Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits and gently scoop the meat out of the shells, keeping the shape intact. Cut each avocado half into thin slices, still keeping the shape, then mound some crab salad where the pits used to be. Wrap each serving tightly with plastic wrap, twisting the end of the wrap to form a tight ball. Unwrap and garnish with grapefruit segments.
- Slice off both ends, then stand the grapefruit on one end.
- Trim away the peel and white pith, following the curve of the fruit.
- Cut against the membrane on either side to release the segment.