Serve this crumbly cornbread with your favorite style of chili.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, softened, plus 4 tablespoons, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- Using a food processor, blend 2 sticks butter with the lemon peel. With the machine on, pour in the honey and process until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Transfer the honey butter to a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a wide cylinder about 7 inches long; twist the ends to enclose. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, beat the buttermilk with the egg until smooth. Stir in the 4 tablespoons melted butter. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and quickly stir to form a stiff batter. Stir in the corn kernels. Scrape into the prepared pan and bake until golden-brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Slice into 6 squares and serve with the honey butter.
- Add chopped bell pepper to the cornbread batter.