Use a trim, easy-to-clean flat grater with large holes to grate the cheddar and parmesan.
Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, grated
- 1 cup coarsely grated cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup ice water, plus more for sprinkling
- Coarse salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Butter a large baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and grated butter. Add the cheeses and mix, using your hands, until well combined. Stir in the water. On a clean, floured work surface, knead the dough until smooth, sprinkling in a few drops of ice water if the dough is too dry. Shape into a disk.
- Roll out the disk to form a large rectangle (about 9 by 12 inches and 1/4 inch thick). Cut 1/2-inch strips from the longer side, then cut those in half to form 6-inch strips. Sprinkle the cheese straws with salt, transfer to the baking sheet with a spatula and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.