One simple recipe for sweet sautéed onions goes a long way.
Makes: 2 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 1/2 pounds onions. thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and cook, stirring constantly, until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and cook, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan frequently, until the onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Use a cast-iron pan for the best caramelization.