Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 5 tablespoons EVOO
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 piece (2 inches) ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 1/4 pounds flank steak
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2/3 small red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, torn
- In a glass or ceramic baking dish, whisk 2 tbsp. EVOO, 2 tbsp. soy sauce, the garlic and half the ginger. Add the steak; turn to coat. Let marinate 15 minutes, turning halfway through.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, 2 tbsp. EVOO and the remaining soy sauce and ginger. Toss with the sliced cabbage, carrots and basil; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat the remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO over medium. Remove the steak from the marinade and cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steak to a cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest 5 minutes.
- Transfer the salad to a platter. Thinly slice the steak against the grain. Fan out the sliced steak on top of the salad.