Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 1 cup whole-grain (not pearled) farro
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 8 ounces hot Italian sausage (about 2 links), casings removed
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves roughly chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino-romano
- In a large, heavy saucepan, cover the farro with a couple inches of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, salt the water and simmer gently until the farro is tender, about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO over medium. Cook the sausage, breaking it up, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Cook the garlic until golden, 2 minutes. Add the stock; bring to a simmer. Stir in the farro and kale and simmer until the kale is tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Return the sausage to the pan and stir in the thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the stew among bowls, top with the cheese and drizzle with the remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO.