Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 poblano or pasilla chiles, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups mild tomatillo salsa
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 6 ounces corn tortilla chips
- 10 ounces Monterey Jack, shredded
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a large skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high. Add the chiles and cook until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 20 seconds. Stir in the salsa and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, stir in 1/3 cup cilantro and season with salt.
- Place half the chips in a 2-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the salsa mixture, half of the cheese and half of the beans. Repeat the layering with the remaining chips, salsa mixture, cheese and beans. Bake until the casserole is hot and the cheese melts, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Top with the avocado and garnish with the scallions and cilantro. Serve with the lime wedges.