Makes: 8 servings
Yield: 1 dozen
Prep: 40 mins
Bake: 20 mins
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 1/4 sticks (18 tbsp.) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- Flaky sea salt, such as fleur de sel or Maldon, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Grease a 12-cup muffin pan. In the top of a double boiler set over 1 inch of simmering water, melt 6 oz. chopped 1 chocolate and 1 1/2 sticks butter, stirring often, until smooth, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, whisk in the sugar and let cool for 10 minutes. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla, then the cocoa powder.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup about two-thirds full. Bake until the cupcakes are cracked on top and springy to the touch, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto the rack to cool completely.
- Slice the remaining 6 tbsp. butter into 6 pieces. In a microwavable cup, melt the butter, the remaining 3 oz. chocolate and the corn syrup at 1 medium power (50%) for 1 1/2 minutes; stir. Heat 30 seconds more; stir until smooth. Let the glaze cool for 10 minutes, then dip the bottom of each cupcake into the glaze. Let stand, glazed side up, for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flaky salt and let stand until set, about 1 hour.