Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 1 hr 10 mins
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs with skin (about 3 lbs.)
- Salt and peppe
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 small eggplant (about 10 oz.), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper - stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 small zucchini - trimmed, quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/2-inch thick
- 1 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Finely grated pecorino-romano, for serving
- Pat the thighs dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat a large, deep skillet over medium, add 1 tbsp. of the EVOO and swirl to coat. Add the thighs, skin side down, and cook, undisturbed, 8 to 10 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Add the eggplant to the pan and cook until soft, about 5 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Add the remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO, the bell pepper and onion; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the zucchini, season, and cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and reserved eggplant, then nestle the thighs, skin side up, in the vegetable mixture. Cover and bring to a brisk simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, partially covered, until the vegetables are very soft and the thigh meat pulls apart easily from the bone, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer the thighs to a bowl; remove and discard skin and bones. Using two forks, pull the meat into thick shreds. Return the meat to the pan and stir in the parsley; season. Serve with the grated cheese.