Makes: 4 servings
Pickled Red Onion
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 24/7 Seasoning (or another seasoing blend of your choice) or salt and pepper
- 3 - 4 tablespoons yuzu juice or the juice of 2 liimes
- About 2 lbs. fresh sashimi-grade tuna steak, cut into chunks
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 piece (1 inch) gingerroot, peeled and minced or grated
- 1 small bunch scallions, whites and greens minced
- Black pepper
- 3 tablespoons tamari (dark soy sauce) or ponzu sauce
- Stir-fry oil or canola oil
- 4 brioche buns, split and lightly toasted
- Nori (sheets of dried seaweed wrappers), torn and toasted in skillet until fragrant
- Pickled ginger
- 3/4 cup creme fraiche, homemade aioli or Vegenaise
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons stir-fry oil or canola oil
- 1 pound frozen edamame in shells, defrosted and patted dry
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 piece (1 inch) gingerroot, peeled and grated or minced
- About 1/4 cup ponzu or tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave
- 2 - 3 tablespoons sriracha, to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds or toasted sesame seeds
- Pickle the onions by tossing with the seasoning (or salt and pepper) and yuzu (or lime) juice; let stand.
- Pulse the tuna in a food processor to chop finely, then gently combine with the other patty ingredients. Form 4 patties and coat with oil.
- Heat a griddle or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients.
- Cook the burgers for 4 to 5 minutes for pink centers and 7 to 8 minutes to cook through, turning once.
- Serve the burgers on the toasted buns topped with pickled onions, toasted nori, pickled ginger and the special sauce.
- In a round-bottom pan or wok, heat the oil over high heat. Add the edamame and sear to brown the pods at the edges. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the ponzu (or tamari), honey (or agave), sriracha, sesame oil and seeds. Toss to combine and serve hot as a side dish or starter.
Pickled Red Onion::