Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Grill: 20 mins
- 4 sub or hero rolls, split lengthwise
- 2 pounds tomatoes-cored, halved crosswise and seeded
- 1 tablespoon EVOO, plus more for brushing
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 6 ounces shredded provolone
- Preheat a grill to high on one side; keep the other side unlit. Pull some of the bread from inside of rolls. In a food processor, grind into crumbs. Measure out 1/3 cup of crumbs.
- Brush the tomatoes with some EVOO; season. Grill on the lit side of the grill, cut side down, covered and turning once, until softened, about 8 minutes. In a blender, puree the tomatoes and 1 tbsp. EVOO; season.
- In a large bowl, mash the garlic, anchovies and 1/4 tsp. salt. Whisk in the egg. Mix in the onion, meats and breadcrumbs; season. Shape into 16 two-inch balls.
- Brush the unlit side of the grill with EVOO. Grill meatballs, covered and turning occasionally, until barely pink in the center, 10 minutes.
- Brush the cut sides of the rolls with EVOO; grill 3 minutes. Spoon some sauce on the roll bottoms, top each with 4 meatballs, sprinkle with cheese and add roll tops. Wrap in foil; place on the unlit side of the grill. Cover; cook to melt the cheese, 2 minutes.