Prep: 30 mins
Bake: 35 mins
- 1 5.3 ounce box pure butter shortbread cookies, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (fresh or bottled)
- 7 egg whites, divided
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a food processor, pulse the cookies, coconut and 2 tbsp. sugar until finely ground. Pulse in the butter. Pat the crumbs firmly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake the crust for 10 minutes. (Leave the oven on.)
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the yolks, condensed milk and lime juice. In another medium bowl, whisk 2 egg whites until nearly stiff; fold into the yolk mixture. Pour the filling into the crust. Bake until the custard is set but slightly jiggly in the center, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool on a rack. Refrigerate, uncovered, at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the broiler. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the remaining 5 egg whites, 1/2 cup sugar and cream of tartar. Bring 1 inch of water to simmer in a pot. Place the bowl on top of the pot. Whisk until the mixture is warm and smooth, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Attach the bowl to the mixer; beat at medium speed until soft peaks form. Beat at high speed until stiff but not dry, about 30 seconds. Spread the meringue in peaks over the pie, making sure it touches the crust all around. Broil in the center of the oven, rotating as needed, until the meringue is golden-brown, about 2 minutes.