Makes: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime zest, plus 1 cup fresh lime juice (4 to 6 limes)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 medium English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups chilled sparkling water
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, lime zest and 1 cup water to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the mint leaves. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Strain the lime syrup through a sieve into a pitcher. Add the cucumber and lime juice; refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, add the sparkling water. Serve over ice and garnish with mint.