Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless cod or halibut fillets (1 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickle
- 6 tablespoons EVOO
- Carrot and celery sticks
- Toss the panko, cornmeal, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper and the paprika in a medium bowl.
- Cut the fish crosswise (against the grain) into 1-inch-wide strips. Lay the fish in a pie plate; pour the buttermilk on top.
- Stir the mayo, ketchup and chopped pickle in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove the fish slices from the buttermilk one at a time, place in the bowl with the crumb mixture and coat all over. Transfer the fish to a plate.
- Heat 3 tbsp. of the EVOO in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot, about 5 minutes. Add half of the fish sticks and cook, turning once with tongs, until crisp and golden on both sides, about 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining oil and fish. Serve with the sauce and vegetable sticks.