Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Bake: 45 mins
- 6 ounces fresh spinach (6 cups packed)
- 1/3 cup jarred pesto
- Salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 ounces pecorino-romano, finely grated (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup sliced scallions
- 9 ounces italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 10 ounce loaf sourdough bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2/3 cup (5 oz) ricotta
- 2 cups coarsely grated fontina (6 to 8 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a food processor, puree 2 cups spinach with the pesto; season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, pecorino-romano and scallions. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, breaking it up, until cooked, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl. Reduce heat to medium and cook the remaining spinach until wilted, about 1 minute; chop.
- Using half of the ingredients: Arrange bread in a foil-lined 7-by-11-inch baking dish, spread on pesto, then ricotta; pour in egg mixture and top with spinach, sausage and fontina. Repeat. Let stand for 10 minutes, pressing to soak.
- Bake the strata until puffed and browned, about 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.