Makes: 4 to 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 8 ounce package dried lo mein noodles
- 1 small head cabbage, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 1/3 pound snowpeas, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts, for sprinkling
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Add the noodles to the boiling water and cook according to package directions. Add the cabbage, bell pepper, mushrooms, snow peas and carrot; cook for 30 seconds. Drain the noodles and vegetables thoroughly.
- Turn the heat under the skillet back to high. When the onions sizzle, add the soy sauce, sherry and sesame oil and let the mixture bubble for a few seconds. Add the noodles and vegetables; toss well. Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are fully cooked and the peppers are tender but still slightly crunchy, about 3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the chicken and cook, stirring often, to heat through. Season with salt and sprinkle with the peanuts.