Makes: 4 to 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 4 ounces dried bean thread noodles
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup thai red curry paste
- 2 14 ounce cans unsweetened coconut milk, shaken
- 1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 pound green beans, halved crosswise on an angle
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 large sprig basil (preferably thai), plus 1/4 cup thinly sliced leaves for sprinkling
- Place the noodles in a large bowl; cover with 1 inch of water. Let soak for 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly darkened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 3 cups water and the coconut milk, brown sugar, fish sauce and crushed red pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the noodles and green beans and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the green beans are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and basil sprig. Simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 2 minutes; season with salt. Discard the basil sprig. Divide the curry among bowls and sprinkle with the sliced basil.