Makes: 16 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Bake: 40 mins
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 (1 lb) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream or whole-milk yogurt, at room temperature
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, the cinnamon and allspice; mix well. Using your fingers, mix in 2 sticks butter until the mixture is crumbly; set aside. (The crumb topping can be made, covered and refrigerated up to 1 day ahead.)
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees . Lightly grease a 10-by-15-inch baking pan. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the remaining 2 sticks butter at high speed for 2 minutes. Gradually sprinkle in the remaining 2 cups granulated sugar; beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Increase the mixer speed to high and beat in the eggs 1 at a time, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla, baking soda and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Lower the mixer speed to low; gradually beat in 1 1/4 cups flour, mixing until just incorporated. Mix in 1/2 cup sour cream. Repeat with the remaining 1 1/4 cups flour and 1/2 cup sour cream.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, spreading evenly and making sure to fill the corners. Crumble the topping evenly over the batter. Bake until the cake feels springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a rack and let it cool completely, at least 1 hour. Dust generously with confectioners' sugar.